Humanitarian toll assessed in Gaza, Israel

Schools, offices and roads in Gaza are open and normal activities underway, amid a ceasefire reached Nov. 21 that the UN says appears to be holding.

A Nov. 26 situation report from the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) estimates that 1.6 million people in the Gaza Strip and 1 million people in southern Israel were affected by last week's fighting. Between Nov. 14-21, 158 Palestinians and six Israelis were killed, while 1,269 Palestinians and 224 Israelis were injured in the hostilities.

"Many in Gaza have spent the days since the ceasefire mourning the loss of family members and friends," the report reads. "The first storm this winter on 23-24 November compounded the difficult conditions of those living in homes damaged in air-strikes. However, after an official holiday on Friday, most commercial activities resumed as of Saturday."

A humanitarian needs assessment is underway by the UN and its partners. Priorities identified so far, according to OCHA, include psychosocial support, basic repair for damaged homes, schools and clinics, non-food items for the displaced and clearance of what are known as "explosive remnants of war" (ERW). A total of 298 houses in Gaza and 80 in Isreal were destroyed or severely damaged in the fighting.

Meanwhile, Palestinians have been able to access farming areas closer to the border fence as well as fish in areas up to six nautical miles from shore, according to the UN.

InterAction president and CEO Sam A. Worthington last week urged both sides in the conflict to abide by the terms of the ceasefire. Humanitarian NGOs said it is essential that all parties abide by international humanitarian law in order to avoid further loss of life, destruction of property and human suffering.

 

 

Reuters/Mohammed Salem, courtesy Trust.org - AlertNet