NGO Aid Map
InterAction and its members, as agents of change, believe in empowering ourselves and others with information to deliver better results for global change. We pool and share data about the work of InterAction members around the world through simple maps. NGO Aid Map gives a picture of international aid that would not exist otherwise.
- Make it as easy as possible to share data. If it’s not easy, organizations won’t keep providing information, and there’s little value to a map that never gets updated.
- Present the data in a way that makes it simple to understand and use. Our site is designed to make it easy to find the information people are looking for, to help them make the decisions they need to make.
- Make the data open and accessible. We know there are many ways to slice and dice data. That’s why we’ve made it possible to download the data on every page of the site.
- Do no harm. While we are strong advocates of openness, we realize there can be negative consequences to sharing data. We let organizations know that they should only share information if it is safe to do so, and review data that has been submitted to make sure there isn't anything that could put someone in harm's way.
- Collaborate with like-minded organizations also working to make more information available. NGO Aid Map is just one piece of the puzzle. By working with organizations that also see the value in open data, we hope to create a more complete picture of what is happening with international aid.
What can you do with NGO Aid Map?
- Explore and learn about NGO projects
- Find new NGO partners
- Download and analyze the data
With over 1,300 projects from more than 65 organizations, NGO Aid Map currently focuses on six areas: Haiti, food security globally, the Horn of Africa, China, Mexico and India.
Data is provided by our members on a voluntary basis, so the map is a partial picture of what our community does. Projects are continuously being added, so we encourage you to visit often to learn more about the work of our members.
The initiative will feature a global map in all sector areas in 2014. A global expansion is not possible without the help of InterAction members to pilot and test the new map. If you would like to learn more, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Food Security Aid Map
If you are an InterAction member and would like to contribute data to NGO Aid Map, email email@example.com.