Two Food for the Hungry Staff Killed in the Democratic Republic of Congo

Release Date: 
Nov 19, 2018
Organization: 
Press Contact: 
Abrielle Swisher
(602) 274-1988

PHOENIX, Ariz. (November 19, 2018) – Two humanitarian aid workers from Food for the Hungry (FH) were tragically killed in Tanganyika province, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), on Thursday, November 15.

“We are devastated to confirm the tragic loss of our two staff members,” said FH CEO Mike Meyers. “Our hearts and prayers are with their families as we grieve alongside them.”

The two workers were returning to their field site of work Thursday morning on motorcycle, approximately 80 km from the FH Kalemie office, when they were accosted on the road by armed individuals and fatally shot.

FH has temporarily suspended all operations in the area and is engaging in a thorough investigation with local authorities to seek justice.

“We denounce this terrible attack on humanitarian lives, and the ongoing violence in DRC,” said Meyers.

The Democratic Republic of Congo is continuously listed as one of the top ten most dangerous places for aid workers according to Humanitarian Outcomes. The killing of humanitarian workers is considered a war crime by the United Nations and international law.

In 1995, Food for the Hungry (FH) entered DRC to assist unaccompanied refugee children who were victims of the civil war that ravaged the country, as well as those fleeing from the genocide in Rwanda. Since then, FH has focused efforts on community development, including helping communities rebuild and reestablish livelihoods, improving access to water and sanitation, and reducing food insecurity through agriculture and livestock production.