U.S. Global Food Security Policy: Background
What is global food and nutrition security?
Global food and nutrition security centers on the goal of creating a world where everyone, regardless of where they are born, has access to sufficient nutritious and affordable food.
Why is global food and nutrition security so important?
Global food and nutrition security helps families and farmers build the foundations for more independent and prosperous lives.
- One in nine people worldwide – 795 million people – suffers from chronic hunger, regularly not getting enough food to conduct an active life.
- Eradicating hunger is not only the right thing to do, but it can also create local and global economic opportunities.
- The effects of investing in food security and nutrition ripple across communities – improving health, education and economic opportunities.
- Communities where agriculture production is prosperous and people have access to enough affordable, nutritious food are less vulnerable to unpredictable shocks and better able to build long-term resilience.
- By investing in nutrition and food security programs fewer children will be stunted, leading to healthier and more independent future generations.
What can the United States do to help strengthen global food and nutrition security?
Empower smallholder farmers – particularly women – through partnership with the U.S. government, private sector, universities and NGOs.
- Small farms produce 80% of the food consumed in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. Smallholder farmers can help the world feed itself, but they need the world’s support.
- The U.S. government has been a leader in improving global food and nutrition security and fighting extreme poverty.
- By sharing U.S. knowledge and expertise in agriculture development and supporting programs that work, we can continue the progress already being made to tackle hunger and malnutrition.
- Many smallholder farmers lack fundamental access to fertile land, water, credit, best-practices, education, land rights, appropriate technologies, and markets.
- Working with farmers to overcome these hurdles unlocks their potential to improve crop yields and boost incomes.
Why is global food and nutrition security a smart investment?
According to the World Bank, growth in the agricultural sector has been twice as effective in reducing poverty as growth in other sectors.
- Investing in agriculture will help communities to become more independent and less reliant upon external support.
- Agricultural leadership from the U.S. helps deliver greater impact by leveraging the collective knowledge and expertise of a wide range of local and international partners.
- This includes the NGO community, civil society, research and academic institutions, the private sector, and farmers themselves.
Learn more about InterAction’s Agriculture and Food Security work here.