In recent years, the importance of transparency is for accountability and greater effectiveness. The last several years have seen the establishment of several initiatives In 2008, for example, donors launched the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI), a voluntary, multi-stakeholder initiative that aims to make information about aid spending easier to access, use and understand. To date, more than 300 organizations – including the U.S. government and several InterAction members – have published data to IATI. In 2011, governments launched the Open Government Partnership, in which 65 countries committed to making their governments more
InterAction seeks to promote greater transparency by both the U.S. government and NGOs, including InterAction itself. Learn more about our work:
- InterAction currently co-chairs the IATI CSO Working Group, an international, CSO-led working group which aims to support CSOs interested in publishing to IATI and represent their views. While the group focuses specifically on IATI, its work is guided by the Istanbul Principles for CSO Development Effectiveness, which are an expression of CSOs' commitment to transparency and accountability.
- One such effort is InterAction’s NGO Aid Map, an initiative focused on collecting information on NGOs' work at the project level and making it accessible to donors, NGOs, businesses, governments and the public through an online, interactive mapping tool. By sharing this information, we seek to facilitate partnerships and coordination, increase transparency, inform advocacy and help improve decisions about where to direct resources – with the ultimate aim of improving the effectiveness of aid. Learn more about NGO Aid Map here.
For more information on InterAction’s work on transparency, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on NGO Aid Map, including how your organization can participate in this initiative, please contact email@example.com.
International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI)
- International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI): This is the initiative's main website, where you can find basic information on IATI, including the initiative's background, signatories, and endorsing partner countries.
- IATI Standard: Contains detailed information and guidance on the IATI standard, including the activity standard, organization standard, code lists and schema. The IATI Secretariat has also developed a series of guidance videos providing additional guidance on publishing to IATI.
- IATI Discuss: A discussion board for the IATI community, including the IATI CSO Working Group.
- IATI Registry: Online registry of raw data published by organizations in the IATI XML format. You can also get a basic preview of the information and download it in CSV format.