Job Openings at InterAction
InterAction serves as a convener, thought leader and voice of the NGO community. Our talented staff are dedicated to advancing the NGO sector to ultimately make the world a more peaceful, just and prosperous place. Our teams are experts at convening important stakeholders to have meaningful, action-oriented conversations that influence policy and practice. InterAction is seeking individuals who excel at supporting and facilitating coalition building at all levels.
About the Position:
Position Title: Director, Media & Communication
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Vice President, Communications
The Director of Media and Communications will help develop and execute a creative and results-oriented media and communications strategy to raise awareness, engagement, impact and support of the critical work of InterAction and its members, and the NGO brand. Emphasis will be on shaping, nurturing and growing an effective media program that uses new and traditional media platforms. Other essential functions include writing compelling content targeted at the media and other key audiences; coordinating media and communications efforts among InterAction staff, its members and key partners, as well as managing day-to-day operational aspects of a busy communications department. S/he will be a hands-on, highly-motivated, collaborative, creative and strategic media and communications professional committed to global development.
- Assist the Vice President of Communications in developing and implementing a strategic media and communications plan.
- Shape, nurture and grow an effective media program that uses new and traditional media platforms.
- Secure, maintain and grow media relationships with reporters, editorial writers, columnists and broadcast media to advance our work and solutions to pressing global challenges. Serve as main point of contact with media.
- Develop media messages, talking points, op/eds, press releases, web content and other materials; and help orchestrate organizational and membership communications and media campaigns around key moments and issues
- Develop and maintain the editorial calendar of opportunities to promote our work.
- Develop and implement strategy for high-level speaking engagements for InterAction leadership to promote InterAction as contributor in addressing global challenges.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with communications counterparts at member and partner organizations.
- Help manage the day-to-day operational aspects of a busy communications department, including guiding the work of the communications team, interns and consultants.
A successful candidate will have at least 12 years of experience in media and strategic communications, 5 of which should be in a supervisory and/or leadership role. Applicants should have a demonstrated ability to help develop and implement media programs, making maximum use of limited resources. Applicants must be able to translate complex issues into compelling messages and materials and have existing and relevant media contacts and demonstrated media placement. Familiarity with international development, humanitarian and/or NGO issues is expected. Experience with advocacy and fund-raising campaigns, and working with coalitions, membership organizations and/or other strategic communications partnerships is a plus. All applicants should possess good organizational skills and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously and to work efficiently under pressure. Experience in web, online and digital communications and how to best integrate and align content across platforms is desired. Knowledge of publication production is also desired.
There are no extraordinary physical requirements for the performance of the essential functions of this position. InterAction will make reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Salary & Benefits:
InterAction provides competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line containing: Director, Media & Communications. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this opening. Position will remain open until March 31 but preference will be given to applications received by March 17.
Due to the expected volume of applications, only finalists will be notified. All applicants must be able to provide documentation that they are legally eligible to work in the United States for an extended period of time. No phone calls please
Submit a résumé with cover letter by e-mail indicating position title to Human Resources at email@example.com unless otherwise indicated. Intern applicants should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. View the job description for more details.
- InterAction does not accept unsolicited resumes/applications for employment.
- Cover letters and/or application must specify the position title.
- Unfortunately, due to the volume of resumes received, we are unable to accept telephone calls in reference to the listed positions.
- We are unable to provide interview/relocations costs.
- We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity.
InterAction offers to its regular, full-time employees an array of benefits, including:
- Health, dental and vision insurance plans, with additional flexible spending plan
- Annual, personal, sick leave, and paid holidays
- TIAA-CREF retirement and savings plan
- Metro Smartbenefits
- Group life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- Free access to on-site fitness center
Whether you are looking to find or to fill a new NGO job, InterAction's job board has direct access to the employees and hiring managers of InterAction's nearly 200 NGO members. It is a large pool of talented professionals and potential employers to choose from.
Unlike other nonprofit and development-related job boards, InterAction's focuses almost exclusively on jobs in the international NGO community. Jobs in the field, and jobs at headquarters! Find your match today.